Saturday, April 23, 2011

Worse than I Thought

Yesterday I was told some good news by my doctor: he doesn't think I have Meniere's Disease. This is good because it means I probably won't lose my hearing and I can eat more salt than I was before. My doctor thinks that I have migraines that are being set off by certain foods. There are so many different foods that can cause migraines, and they are different for different people. The main ones he told me were doable, until he came to the cheese section. Cheese is my favorite food. What am I going to eat now? So, I thought, "Well, at least I can eat Asian foods now." Wrong! Foods high in tyramine are often triggers, and this includes soy sauce, MSG, processed meats, OLIVES, onions, pickles, pinto and other types of beans, nuts, and avocados. Other trigger foods are soups (my other favorite food group), alcohol, kiwi, pineapple, plums, citrus fruits, dried fruits, sour cream, buttermilk, yogurt, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, smoked or dried fish, potato chips, fresh baked yeast goods (donuts, cake, sourdough bread, homemade bread), and chocolate. I've been on restrictive diets before (they change my diets about every three years). But this is ridiculous. I was so excited to be able to eat more salt, but they're taking away everything that had salt in it that I missed! Luckily, it is most likely that only some of these items will be triggers for me. But for now, I have to start at ground zero and work my way up to find what it is that makes me sick. It may even be triggers eaten in combination with other triggers that does this to me. Let's start praying that it's yogurt mixed with artificial sweeteners. That I can handle. I was really looking forward to eating olives and ham again - not necessarily together. No wonder I've lost my muchness - I'm too worried about my health to look for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment